I am not a big series reader. I get terrible series amnesia and always have to read the previous book in a series when the next and newest one is released, so series tend to end up with a lot of extra work for me. Thus, I am VERY picky about series I start, and tend to prefer binge reading a series when it’s already out. Still, I do have some series on the back burner that I’ve been wanting to continue, and a few that I do actually want to start, even some newer ones. So, here’s a round up of series I want to continue and series I want to start.
Series to Continue
- The Grishaverse | Leigh Bardugo – I FINALLY started reading these books because I’ve been getting more into fantasy this year…and I LOVE them. I love the Grisha magic system and find all their skills and the hierarchy and society aspects so fascinating. Alina is also an intense and intriguing protagonist, and I can tell things are going to get way darker in book 3. I’m kind of anticipating a Darkling-Mal-Alina-love triangle in book 3, which I’m not thrilled about though. The Darkling is awful. No spoilers, please!
- Revenants | Amy Plum – I read the first book, DIE FOR ME, a while ago, then reread it a couple years back so I could finally read the other two books in the series. I’ve been debating rereading it again so I can actually continue them soon. Amy Plum’s writing is so addictive and the Paris setting is so vivid and perfect for the story. I also really like the concept of revenants, as it’s something I haven’t seen before in paranormal books.
- Daughter of Smoke and Bone | Laini Taylor – I don’t know why I never continued this series. I think I felt cheated at the end of the first book because of the use of a trope I’m not a huge fan of, but I LOVED the rest of the book and I think I’d really like it if I read it again. Plus, now the whole series is out, so I can read it and I have yet to get any spoilers for it.
- A Reaper at the Gates | Sabaa Tahir – This series is probably my favorite series. EMBER was a surprise favorite the year it came out; I honestly wasn’t expecting to love it so much because I didn’t read much fantasy back then yet. I’m probably going to have to reread TORCH (okay, part of me just WANTS to reread it) before I dive into REAPER. Also, am I the only one who DOESN’T ship Laia and Elias?? Am I crazy?
- Warcross | Marie Lu – Other than the Grishaverse, this is the series I’ve read most recently. I absolutely loved WARCROSS, and I was super surprised that I did. I usually HATE sci-fi, but this book was so good. I need more Emika and the Phoenix Riders! Thank goodness I have an ARC of WILDCARD ready to be read ASAP 🙂
- bonus: Harry Potter – I’ve also been debating rereading the entire HP series. I read it as it came out when I was much younger, and honestly I’ve forgotten a ton of it and I missed a lot of details when I first read them. I know it would be a massive undertaking, but I think it could be a fun project and maybe I’d like it better the second time around (I was a very critical reader as a child and wasn’t a huge fan of it like literally everyone else on the planet). Plus I want to get the new editions.
Series to Start
- The Illuminae Files | Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff – I am still determined to read at least ILLUMINAE even though I’ve tried twice and failed. I don’t know why, because again, I usually hate sci-fi, and I ESPECIALLY dislike space sci-fi. However, this book is written in a unique format, which I LOVE. I cannot resist a book in a cool format, no matter what genre it is. I just haven’t managed to push myself all the way through it yet.
- Dreamfall | Amy Plum – This series is about an insomniac girl who does an experiment with a bunch of other teens and they get trapped in a dark dream world. I haven’t heard literally anything about these books, but I have an eARC of the first one so I think I may give it a try. Plus, I sometimes enjoy things on the more horror-y side.
- Cruel Prince | Holly Black – Holly Black and fae books are just a perfect match. She is basically an auto-buy author for me, and I hardly auto-buy anybody. I’m shocked that I haven’t read my ARC of this yet even though I managed to trade for it before it came out. Maybe I’ll read it for ARC August next month.
- Strange the Dreamer | Laini Taylor – I’d really like to give these books a try, as I did really enjoy DOSAB, though I didn’t finish the series. I’m kind of intimidated by this series because STRANGE THE DREAMER is so enormous, but they have it at the library where I work, so I might give it a shot.
- The Raven Cycle | Maggie Stiefvater – I put off this ultra popular series for a super long time because I HATED the Wolves of Mercy Falls books. I read SHIVER twice trying to understand the hype and I think I disliked it even more the second time around. However, THE RAVEN BOYS sounds more up my alley, and though I didn’t read it all the way through either time, I tried reading it twice and liked it a lot. The only downside is romance spoilers that I’ve gotten.
Which of these series do you think I should continue or start after I finish WILDCARD and RUIN AND RISING?